St. Johns River


Home Up About the Society Membership Executive Board Working Groups General Forum Members Area

 

    

 

 

 

 

Source of Image: Karl Agre (USA)
Date of Image: Unknown

 

International Designation Number:

Unknown
 

Navigation:

Latitude 30 23 36" N
Longitude 81 25 33" W
Body of water 1/4 mi (400 m) southeast of the St. John's River Ferry terminal in Mayport.

 

Construction:
Date of Establishment: 1830
Date Light First Lit: 1858
Designer
Is structure still operating? No. Inactive since 1929.
Characteristic
 

Notes:

This is the third lighthouse in this area and was first lit in 1859. 

It originally stood 63 feet tall, but 15 feet were added in 1887. 

The light ceased operation in 1930, having been replaced by a lightship which stood 7 miles out from the river mouth. 

The lighthouse is on the grounds of the Mayport Navy Base and access is severely limited. 

The pictures were shot through a chain link fence on a rainy day.