Portland Island Old


Home Up About the Society Membership Executive Board Working Groups General Forum Members Area

 

    

 

 

 

Source of Image:
Date of Image:

 

International Designation Number:

K3970

 

Navigation:
Latitude
Longitude
Body of water

 

Construction:
Date of Establishment: 1878
Date Light First Lit: 1878
Designer John Blackett.
Is structure still operating? No. Inactive since 1958. Relocated to Wairoa in 1961.
Characteristic A decorative light is displayed until 11 pm each night.

Notes

The original wooden lighthouse at Portland Island is now situated in the town centre of Wairoa.

Portland Island was the last light to use a kerosene powered lamp and a clockwork mechanism.

It wasn't until 1955 that diesel powered generators were installed to run the light on electricity.