International Designation Number:
The lighthouse at the south end of Fair Isle was designed by David Alan
Stevenson and first lit in 1892.
In December 1941 the wife
of an Assistant Lightkeeper was killed and in January 1942 the keepers'
accommodation block was destroyed killing the Principal Lightkeeper's Wife,
daughter and a soldier who was stationed nearby. The attack in 1942 completely
destroyed the accommodation block and it had to be rebuilt. Evidence of these
attacks can still be seen on the tower itself (pock marks) and the outline of
bomb craters just outside the lighthouse walls.
The accommodation block was sold to the National Trust for Scotland and is now a bed and breakfast.